Fishing on can be done in a freshwater just like in a like or in a river, and in a saltwater just like in the ocean. Here we are going to know more about fishing on freshwater especially on the river. If you are new to fishing, then you can’t go fishing with zero knowledge. There are basic tips you should know before going on a field.
If you are still wondering about what you should do while fishing in a river, then you are on the right site. We have collected some information regarding with fishing tips on a river just for you.
Fishing tips on a river
River could be a great habitat for many species of fish. Knowing about their habitat and what equipment works best are very important. Here are the tips for you.
The best way to know which location is the best home for fish is to ask the locals. Go to the nearest local or tackle shop to ask several things which are important for your fishing. They will give you great advice about the current condition and how to fish at its best.
The locals will know about the perfect time to go fishing. Mostly they will recommend going when the sun is not too strong. Sunrise and sunset would be best to go fishing. Also, ask for any rules and regulations about fishing activity in that place. Some places may have their own rules and every year it can be different. Some allow to keep your catch and some only allow catch and release.
So, in order to avoid any penalty, it is better to know the rules of the place where you are about to fish.
- Fish home
Fish also likes particular places where their foods are there. Here are some fish’s homes on the river that you should know.
- Curved edge: Curved edge on a river is a potential place where fish’s food exist. Bigger fish will look for their prey on this area and it is good for you since you have a higher chance of getting a bite.
- Merging currents: Merging currents will bring smaller fish or any fish’s food down their current. Bigger fish will wait after the currents and ready to get their prey. Catfish usually like the current and they might be here as well.
- Weeds, rock piles, and small island: some fish like to find places with good shelter. They also like to do the surprise attack on their prey. Weeds, rock piles and small islands will be beneficial for bigger fish and of course for you.
- Calm current: Not only in a strong current, some fish will also like to go to the part of the river which has calm and slow current. Here fish will smell your bait better and you can easily get a catch for this.
The right bait will lead to a successful fishing trip. Finding the right bait for river fishing is a must. Live bait never goes wrong. Smaller fish and any other sea creatures will be best for your live bait. Worms are also a great option to get. With great baits, you can get bass, catfish, and carp while fishing.
- Other essential tips
- Polaroid glasses: Your fishing trip will be best with a pair of polaroid glasses. Wear it when you are fishing in a place with a clear water. This is an effective way to know fish locations.
- Safety: Make sure you are able to swim and if you are not that good, you may ask your friends to accompany you. Be careful of strong currents and slippery place. River’s depth can also change depends on the weather.
- Techniques: bottom bouncing, upstream casting, and river jig are most popular techniques for fishing in a river.
We hope that our fishing tips on a river are informational enough for you. Always go for a journey to stock up your life with good experiences. Go have a great catch and good luck!